Tuesday 23 December 2008

Mundane

Here I am darlings. In Bahrain and ready to tear my hair out were it not for my mother who mothers and my brother who brothers and my friend who erm cares? The frustration is palpable and painful almost and my head spins and the people I know are everywhere and they are predatory predatory predatory for fuck's sake.

A one-time venture out of the house and I see 3458345073450 people I know. All the while I can only think of Adonis and want to bury my head in the dusty area just outside Starbucks Budaiya whilst sipping English breakfast tea.

I saw an ex who looked amazing though, all trim beard and dashing good looks. All grown up and devastating, heart-breaking.. He was a man now. Blue raised an eyebrow, after we'd left, in appreciation. We smiled and cracked jokes. He ruffled my hair and rubbed my arm and had to be on his way and I watched him slightly perturbed at this new person.

Still the weather is quite lovely.

I am looking forward to an indoorsy type night with Blue with maybe a tentative drive to BuKuwara for Janburger. Otherwise nothing fills these bleak days but episode upon episode of House and I look forward to the day when I can turn around to my colleagues at work and say in a serious voice while shooting loaded looks, "I'm trying to do my job."

My grandma gushes over me as I eat qormeh sabzi and tells me that I am the best granddaughter because I polish off my heaped plate. My mum bursts with pride when an aunt pays me a compliment. My best friend tells me I'm doing okay. There's certainly no lack of love in this here parts.

Some good news: a friend of mine is getting married! What's the big deal I hear you ask since marriage in Bahrain is basically a cure for boredom, depression, Tourette's, Alzheimer's, syphillis, general aches and pains, and any other mental or physical ailment you can think of. Well, she's a New Yorker and when she had come to visit me early on this year she had told me that marriage was not for her and that she never thought she'd take the plunge and I'd believed her because I knew her. But, she met someone and someone who is, by her account, pretty damn awesome. I'm feeling pretty damn awesome myself. An uplifting bit of good news. The wedding is to take place on New Year's eve which I think is lovely.

Otherwise nothing to report as my will to live and inspiration dry up. I will write something perhaps a little more meaningful at some point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a malghoom and pomegranate juice for me will ya?

I have a lot of respect for people who make qormeh sabzi - it requires a LOT of effort. Mostly chopping things!

Oh and I found this place that makes 'kaleh pacheh' on Sunday mornings! Yipee. Well, gross. Coz I can't imagine having that in the morning. Anyway.

June said...

What's malghoom? I know, my grandma's qormeh sabzi is awesome, really. Gross to kaleh pacheh indeed. I can't stand it in the mornings, evenings, afternoons and any time in between. The smell is overwhelming and that's when it's cooked in the house according to the family's crazy specifications. Can you imagine how it would smell if someone else was cooking it a bit more sloppily?

Ammaro said...

malghoom is a deluxe shawarma. like, the king of shwarmas. think shawarma with extra everything.

and you're back already? aren't we supposed to be taking you out sometime?

Anonymous said...

It's always great to receive some good news.

Bless ya.