Sunday 14 March 2010

Earnin'

I could do it. I could say I knew all along. I could be all of course it happened. Of course. I could presume knowledge about the whole sorry situation and the miraculous about-face it did. I could say I was a genius who calculated it all to turn out the way it did and now that it has I'm as happy as a clam. I won't though. Because I didn't. Because I wouldn't. Because no one would have. Because no one could have. Because I don't believe in karma. Because there's no one who dictates what happens to whom and why. Because let's face it people - we all know jack (he's generally quite pleasant but sometimes can be an irritating prick).

I'm in Abu Dhabi all on my lonesome. Mr. Junebug has gone to somewhere good whereas I'm here, wading my way through the eerie familiarity-yet-not of another arab country. We live in a hotel which is pleasant enough except for the bizarre ban on toasters (to any idiot who has ever stuck a fork in there - don't). It's a massive suite, labelled Executive probably because it likes to wear a suit and boss around all the other suites dictating memos and shit. I bought green apples that I don't touch. I am sustained on a diet of coco pops bars.

First day here and we wander out in search of something with which to fill out tummies and we run into a friend I used to know in Year 8. She was in the year above me and a bizarre friendship grew out of my little penchant for writing notes and her little penchant for reading them. Randomly I'd write her notes filling her in on the day's events where nothing happened other than a deepening crush on an obnoxious pimply gangly youth. She's write back with the same albeit a different obnoxious pimply gangly youth. Anyway we chat, she meets my husband and we promise to call each other. Needless to say the experience shook the hell out of me. What are the odds? Within an hour or so of landing?

Second day now and I started work. I think the best part of the day wasn't meeting people nor being welcomed nor eating salad nor discovering a huge stash of kitkats in the fridge nor being pumped for a handover plan. I think the best part of the day was seeing the words "Fee Earner" next to my name. Fuck yeah, I earn a fee! That I get from billing a client! That I retain diddly squat from! But I don't care! I earn a fee mesdames et messieurs. 'Tis a good thing. Having said that, it looks like the role is pretty intense. I expected a stroll through a park with geraniums bursting in my wake (bursting? maybe blossoming). Guess not hey. I may be struggling at the very very bottom of the food chain but ain't nobody's feelin' sorry for little ol' me.

No point to this post other than a bit of a natter at no one in particular since I am in complete and utter isolation in this bizzare-o country. Work tomozzles. I'm off.

P.S. And where was ya, stalkeroozi? You went missing for 5 or so days. So unlike you. I've missed you.

1 comment:

Ammaro said...

heyyyy, good to see ur still around :p and in Abu Dhabi now! Shift happens? Whats new Junezi?